Friday, August 21, 2009

The power to "move mountains": A glimpse into what God is really doing with us

Many mornings I woke up in Trena's room (because there was no way I was sleeping in the "spider room" alone) staring at the intricate wooden ceiling with the feeling that I was being prayed for by someone. Often I would just lay there a while, pretending to sleep, listening to Trena click out her messages/ to do list for the day on her phone, and wonder WHO it was that was praying for me... there was never a specific event, or action that I felt was going to happen, but just knew that someone was taking time out of their day half way around the world to lift me up before the Lord. I guess I QUESTIONED how I knew, or why on specific days I would wake up feeling prayed for, or feeling loved by God as opposed to other days. In those few moments each time it happened, I felt that peace and power, and I remember letting it soak in thinking "well it's just because I have asked people to go with me in prayer through this journey, I guess a few are praying."


Fast Forward to...
Sunday, August 9
My first Sunday back to Sunday school class and a few people mention how when I was Kenya, they had my name at their table to pray for, so they had prayed for me.

Monday, August 10
At a farewell party for a friend, someone who is in SS class (who I haven't had a chance YET to get to know well) says the same thing about getting my name in class and praying for me.

AT THIS POINT I AM BEGINNING TO BE BLOWN AWAY BY GOD. (because I am also beginning to remember all the people who emailed in response to my requests, and knew they had been praying)

The rest of that week as I saw co-workers for the first time at school, they were asking about the trip and excitedly shared how they had followed through the process on my blog. Another wow! moment.

Friday, August 21
Meet the teacher day at school ( I had been in a "battle" all week with myself about wanting to be in Kenya to hold the babies, but having a peace of knowing God has me here to do His work)
Throughout the afternoon of greeting my new students for this year and hugging old ones from last year, in walks the confirmation to my many mornings of waking up and staring at the ceiling. One of the girls from last year handed me three yellow cards wrapped in a white note, she said she had submitted my name throughout the summer to her church prayer room and they had prayed for my trip to Africa. She explained how sorry she was that she didn't know my address there, but had kept them to give to me and wanted me to know I had been prayed for.
A sudden peace and connection for why I am here, back in the classroom, connecting with the kids occurred.

For me, she was a beginning glimpse into something so much greater when we ask others to walk along side of us in prayer through our journey of life. I continue to see how God desires for us to be apart of HIS story, and the joy we get when we have other share in the process. I echo the phrase I learned as I was leaving for Kenya, Do we believe what we say we believe about Him? Are you willing to walk with Him and give others the joy of walking with you? I now believe that if we are willing to ASK others to walk with us, we become bold in Christ. I also believe that it does NOT have a be a grand adventure, like Africa to have friends and family rally around you in prayer. Take a simple step, ASK God where He has you if you can serve Him, JOIN Him in His work, FIND those around you who will pray for you, GO...

No comments:

Post a Comment