Monday, August 17, 2009

Where He leads I will go

The bitter sweetness of returning before the babies would come, but knowledge of knowing God has called me to teach another year, keeps me excited to see where He will lead. Checking my email the week after my return found me in two God confirmed places that I was home and where He wanted me.



Opportunity #1:

Handing out school supplies to the children at Los Arcos apartments.

The apartments are located in southwest Houston and are home to Bhutanese refugees. This summer while I was away, the Sunday School class I attend in Houston participated in a ministry called the Houston Project and this was the apartment complex where they helped. SO... the email I received was asking for volunteers to hand out school supplies to the children in the apartment complex. Perfect connection, planned by God, for the children I so badly missed in Kenya at kid's club every Sunday. We were able to go into homes, talk with the families, and pass along a small gift. My favorite home was where the parents were gone, but the kids came in from outside to greet and accept our gift. Only in cultures other than America does that happen, and it made me see I can have that experience right here in Houston.

Opportunity #2 Collecting for the Bicycle World and Fitness "Diaper Drive"

The second I was so excited about and had me thinking, I know God has brought me home to show me His work here in Houston, was the diaper drive. I thought, "What better project to help be apart of than collecting things for babies who I had spent all summer preparing for in Kenya." I emailed back to see how I could help and found out that all I needed to do was show up at the bike store and sort through the things donated.

I was beginning to see the connection of what I had been doing all summer unfold before my eye, right here in Houston! The scary thing was I could have missed it! I could have been sitting at home mopey about how I wished I were in Africa holding babies, but instead I was looking for where God was and asking Him to give me the desire to be apart of it.

Distracted by many things in the last few days I am sure I have missed so many opportunities to see God at work and missed even more because I haven't asked for my heart to be drawn close to the things He wants me to be apart of, but it leaves me one final thought that will hopefully draw us all back every time...do I believe the song when I sing, "wherever He leads I'll go"?

No comments:

Post a Comment