Sunday, July 31, 2011

Today I saw a rainbow

The very first verse I taught myself to memorize was Genesis 9:16 "Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."

I had handwritten it onto a sheet of paper and found a heart sticker with a rainbow on it. The paper was taped to my desk next to my bed so I would see it when I woke up every morning. The promise of God after the flood has always stood out to me and I love how forever we have a symbol of His spoken Word. So...when I started seeing rainbows around I got really excited. The one above came in the middle of standing at the base of a waterfall. While at Yosemite my dad and I took a detour from picking up my brother from hiking. My normal tendency is to be anxious when we are suppose to be doing something, but lately I have started going with the moments. This one gave me a special blessing. Below is the picture of the river coming off the waterfall. The only reason I am not completely drenched is because someone offered me a plastic covering. What a thrill to hear the roar, have water rushing around your ankles and look up to see a rainbow!
















Rainbow #2 came during the hike my brother and I completed up from a different waterfall. Some people might say, "But Lisa, rainbows are made from water and sunlight, so of course you are going to see one." But I would say, "yes, but how many other people are pointing out the rainbow when there is a giant waterfall to look at?" Notice the small glimpse of a rainbow in the bottom right hand corner.

Unfortunately for rainbow #3 I don't have a picture and it did come much later than these two (I saw these in the same day). This one was weeks later and I was driving with my mom to my sister's house, actually she was driving and it was probably a good thing, because I started shouting with joy and pointing. "Look it's a rainbow! Look do you see it! Mom do you see the rainbow!" Now I know I sounded like a three year old and you might be annoyed at my response. I think she was probably trying to figure out what the big deal was with the rainbow, so let me explain this joy of seeing three rainbows. The past several years I have sought God out to teach me how to love Him, people and find joy in life. All of my attempts to accomplish these have failed, it is just recently in surrendering to Him that I am starting to see how it all works together...Him loving me first, me loving Him back, Him showing me people to love and the joys of life. So the exciting thing those few weeks was to see God's promise to me appear over and over. He does not forget us, He loves us deeply and if we aren't looking or taking our own plans, we might just miss the simple things of life that can bring us joy. Rainbows might not be your thing, but as you dwell on how God loves you, you might just ask Him to show off for you too.

1 comment:

  1. Saw another one today after carpool. The sprinklers were on...who knows why in the middle of the day, in fact that was the conversation when I looked over and saw it while I was walking. It was right by my room at the end of the 2nd grade hallway.

    ReplyDelete