Monday, June 1, 2009

June 1...

I try not to BE overwhelmed when I think:
  • only two more weekends left before I leave
  • I won't be sleeping in my own bed for 6 weeks
    am I really getting on a plane alone, flying across the ocean to another continent, then getting my own VISA, and finding my friend in a foreign country to pick me up
  • being homesick for my family
  • will I be able to stay healthy and eat enough
  • what exactly am I going to be doing while I am over there
  • will I be accepted
But then I AM overwhelmed:
  • By a God who wants to tell His story of how much he loves us
  • the generosity of those willing to "go" with me
  • how He can speak a gentle assurance through walking at the lake, with the sun on your back, as a heron swoops down to skim across the water and YOU JUST KNOW He is there
  • how He wants us to be apart of what He is doing through our willingness to be moldable and available to His plan
  • how details are His speciality and everything just falls into place
  • That in the end the things that overwhelm me are not the things that overwhelm Him!
I am reminded as I type that when I focus on the earthly things I overwhelm myself, but when I look at what God is doing through my steps of faith, I am able to see far past myself and see the faith of those around me.
Those who ask me questions that cause me to doubt my safety and decision to go all summer are far less than those who have stepped in faith with me to believe that I am called to go and help.
They are the ones who are courageous!
They are the ones who have listened to the call to support me and in turn have strengthen my faith to keep stepping in the right direction.
As I have reflected this weekend about all I have seen God do this last two weeks, I am overwhelmed with thankfulness and that has left a joy and strength in my heart to overcome my fears and instead be overwhelmed in His presence.
A huge thank you to all of you who have decided to "go" with me (that includes the excitement from my students who ask questions at school) Your joy, dedication, generosity, and support has given me courage. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa! I am just now catching up on your blog as it is the first official day of summer! I am praying for you!!! What an awesome witness you are to me and so many by your willingness to allow God to lead and shape your life in the ways that He wants to! I am looking forward to hearing all the mighty ways He is going to use you this summer! I am so happy you set up the blog so that we can follow along with your journey!!! May God bless you and keep you on your travels!

    ReplyDelete