Friday, June 19, 2009

What I say I believe and what I really believe

I’m here and what a fun journey!

Most of you don’t know the Sunday before I was to leave, I received a phone call from Trena’s friend letting me know that there had been a mix up in our dates and Trena would be away on safari with her friend when I arrived in Kenya. After the shock of what I had thought might happen (no one to pick me up) Trena did an amazing job arranging for her neighbor to pick me up and for me to spend the night at her place. The whole experience gave me the opportunity to realize that what I “say” I believe in God, doesn’t always match what I “do” believe in who God is for me.
After a great dinner the night before, prepared by my aunt and a wonderful surprise by my sister-in-law (giraffe cookies, I wish I had a picture to share, but now their legs are all broken, well more than their legs) The day started with the crucial help from my dad. We went from errand to errand, without him we would not have gotten much done. Thanks dad! J
The fun started when we got to the airport and started weighing the 7 bags that were packed full of school supplies, children’s clothes and shoes. On the scale one bag would go, and out would come a pair of shoes, or notebooks until the check in lady would say it weighed 50 pounds. After 6 bags of doing this, the last bag is what got the BIG red flag. It weighed way over 50 pounds and would need to reach a certain amount so I could pay the $45 extra dollars so it could go. The problem was I could just not get it down to weight. The climax reached it’s height when she looked over at my carry on suitcase that I had all of my personal clothing in and said that it was not going to be allowed as a carry-on because it was too big. She said “you know you will have to pay $162 for the extra bag fee.” With tears in my eyes, I said I know that I will and frustrated, swept my hair up with a sad huff. Seeing my despair she said, “hold on, let me go talk to my supervisor.” So I guess long story short (well I guess not really short) God decided to bless me through others many prayers, by bumping me up to World Traveler Plus, giving me the ability to have another suitcase. So onto the plane I went!
My connection through London was smooth and off the plane in Kenya I was able to meet my connecting person and onto Trena’s house. I know that God had planned for me to have the day to myself while they were still on safari, as I was able to sleep off and on throughout the day. Now I feel rested and ready to go.
Today we traveled to the government offices to find out the steps for registering the baby house and then also visited the house.

Lesson learned: Don’t worry in the moment for you will miss the presence of God if you try to solve it on your own power. What are you saying that you believe about God, that you might not have experienced yet to really believe about Him? Having walked into the uncertain through this experience, I encourage you to be obedient, let God take you out of your comfort zone to see His greatness.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible first day? Can't imagine what he has in store for you next!

    ReplyDelete