Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mombasa, Kenya: Fort Jesus and Meeting Barisa-my sponsor child
Going to Mombasa: Longing has been in my heart to return to Kenya since I came on my last mission trip in 2006. I just knew I would come back, so at a conference over a year ago when I saw the World Vision table, I wanted to pick a child from Kenya. Two things helped me find Barisa, his picture had him standing in front of a Masi blanket and the second was his birthday is May 8th, a day before mine. It was exciting to think that I would be so close to sharing a birthday with someone who lived in a place I loved.
When contacting Trena to come to Kenya, the thought didn’t even cross my mind that I was going to be in the country and to arrange a visit with him until well into my planning with Trena. As soon as I realized it, I was on the phone with World Vision to see what the process would be to make it happen.
Many phone calls during odd hours, waiting on background checks, and a final clearance to learn that Barisa lived near Mombasa, I was ready to make plans to visit and decided it would be best to have someone travel with me. I was blessed to have Jamie and Mimi Johns offer to travel and experience the adventure with me. Many thanks go to Jamie for making and generously blessing me with all of the travel arrangements for us to travel to Mombasa on June 22 and then visit on June 23.
Trena, Kirsten and I got up that morning to meet Jamie and Mimi at Java Junction (a restaurant in town) I called World Vision at 10:00am to be sure about the details of meeting before we all got on the airplane and flew to Mombasa. The lady on the phone said she knew who I was, the name of the hotel where I was staying, and that they would take care of it all. I asked if we would have to travel and she said about 100 kilometers. I felt better, but still had an uneasy feeling about the full details, I waited for someone to call me all day, but nothing.
While in Mombasa I was also eager to visit Fort Jesus, as recently God has put another person in my life with whom I feel call to get to know more. He is a Kenyan living in Houston and when found out I was going to his home country asked if I would take some pictures of a few simple things to bring back for him. Fort Jesus was one of those places. I was amazed again at being called to be a part of God’s work (which He is always doing around us, we only have to be available and willing to be a part of it) and feel that this connection will open more chances for me to get to know what God is doing in his life. What an amazing blessing!
HOWEVER…The beginning of the adventure started at 9:00 pm that night when I got a phone call to my room telling me someone from World Vision was downstairs wanting to talk to me. I thought it best to go find Jamie to come with me (my mom told me to listen to my heart when making wise decisions, this was one of those times : ) and boy was I glad that he came! As we entered the lobby I saw the man and introduced myself, he then went to say he would be there at 8:00 in the morning so that we could drive the 246 kilometers and then 45 more. I was instantly distressed because I knew we couldn’t drive that far and still make it back for our flight at 4:00pm that same day. Thanks to Jamie and his willingness to be my voice, an hour and a half later after “negotiations” Jamie had convinced our driver that he needed to go pick up Barisa with his father and bring them back to us at the hotel by 11:00 the next day. (A conversation and process I will never forget! Lesson learned: Always finish the deal before you leave.)
So… Jamie and I went back upstairs, still uncertain that the Kenyan driver would hold true to his word and I would be meeting Barisa the next morning. I went to my room ready to burst into tears and prayed for all the details we had talked about until I knew the only part left was to just trust. Trust that God knew better and had our best interest in mind.

Meeting Barisa:
The next morning at 11:05, (a miracle when working in Kenya) the World Vision van pulled up to the hotel with Barisa and his dad all the way from the village where they lived. It was so neat to see God at work as He brought us a greater plan than what would have been done. Barisa and his father ate breakfast and then after the father wanted to thank me for how much I did for Barisa. He also wanted to tell me that he has saved the letters I sent and even wanted to answer one of the questions I asked. It was really a “how did I get here moment” J I then gave him a soccer ball, and we looked through a picture album I had made for him. With the World Vision people gone and the Johns upstairs at the hotel, Barisa’s dad was able to tell me that Barisa needed a school uniform, so later in the day we went to a uniform shop and bought him 2 pairs of shirts, shorts, belts, shoes and socks for him. The rest of the day we made and threw the airplane models, colored, and then went to play soccer at the park off the Indian Ocean.
I had brought a machine called a Pogo, which prints pictures straight from your camera, so was able to give Barisa pictures of us together from throughout the day. The Ocean was my favorite part of the day, because as we approached the water and Barisa saw it, the biggest smile he had all day came over his face as he saw that much water for the first time in his life. The day ended with a huge tanker truck coming down the canal and Barisa watching it pass by.

I have come from the other side of the world to met the child that I sponsor, I have seen him experience things that he would have never had the chance to see before, and I have hear the heart of a father who struggles to feed his family on a daily basis. My memories are so full as I walk away from Mombasa and remember the place where I learned the practical lesson of finalizing plans, but more importantly the cemented reality of what I say I believe about God has being tested. I feel to have been found faithful, blessed and continuing to growing in the direction of believing what I say I do. Will you ask what He is calling you to believe?

2 comments:

  1. i feel really, really blessed to read this report on a simply wonderful gift of an experience from God! lisa please continue to share stories and lessons as you find time and inspiration! praying for you/yall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just got back from camp and they do a mission trip every year to haitti i said wow i should tell ms. luce. my friends counselor was from haitti!
    grace

    ReplyDelete